Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday March 6th 2023 (first Monday of the month) at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- Yuri Liberzon is our Featured Artist for the March 6th meeting and ranks among today’s foremost classical guitarists in the United States and the world!
- The Ensemble Session will be run by Isaac Engle, and the music scores are available (see below) and any one of you are delighted to join in and play.
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday March 6th at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday March 20th at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton, and she also provides The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
- Isaac Engel is hosting, and performing, at a Classical Guitar Concert in Salem on March 16th at 4pm. Check out details under “Other Events” above: https://corvallisguitarsociety.org/events/
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, March 6th, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome to play in the group!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm Yuri Liberzon Featured Artist
Featured Artist Yuri Liberzon
Born in Novosibirsk, Russia and raised in Israel. Classical guitarist Yuri Liberzon has been recognized for his impressive technical ability and musicality and he has given countless number of concerts across the United States plus multiple media appearances.
Yuri Liberzon has collaborated and performed in concerts with many renown musicians including guitarists Grisha Goryachev, Patrick O’Connell, Piotr Pakhomkin and flutist Josué Casillas. Orchestra performanceswithDiablo Symphony Orchestra and Tahoe Symphony Orchestra. Chamber music with Gold Coast Chamber Players, Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra and Quartet San Francisco.
Yuri has released four albums in collaboration with Grammy winning sound engineer and producer Nahuel Bronzini:
A) ‘Ascension’, 2015
B) ‘¡Acentuado!’ (Soundset Recordings), 2017
C) ‘3 Violin Sonatas by J.S. Bach’, 2020 (Laudable Records)
D) Konstantin Vassiliev Guitar Works 2022
Yuri has transcribed music of Domenico Scarlatti and Johann Sebastian Bach for guitar. His transcriptions have been published in Sound Board magazine and are distributed in Europe by Bergmann Edition.
Yuri is an avid teacher. He has prepared students admitted into some of the most prestigious music schools: Juilliard Pre-College, Peabody Conservatory and San Francisco Conservatory of Music.
Yuri has received Bachelor of Music degree and Graduate Performance Diploma from the Peabody Conservatory as well as Master of Music degree from Yale University. He was awarded full scholarships from both Peabody and Yale where he studied with two of the world leading guitar masters: Manuel Barrueco and Benjamin Verdery.
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate.
When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac Engel know as soon as you can – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session
All three of the pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public. You can click on them here to download the individual parts and full scores:
- Prelude in Em by Frédéric Chopin, Arr. by John V. Troncoso in D Minor for Guitar Quartet
- Martin Said To His Man by Thomas Ravenscroft Arr. by Andrew Forrest
- Susato-Suite by Tielman Susato Arr. by Arne Dich
NOTE: The four parts for guitar are from page 16 through page 19 of the PDF file. Other pages are different instruments.
Online Recordings of Two Ensemble Pieces
Two of the three pieces have an online recording that you can use to practice:
- Prelude in Em by Frédéric Chopin
Click on it and you can play with the recording.
- Martin Said To His Man by Thomas Ravenscroft
The recording is available on Andrew Forrest website:
Note: You can reduce the tempo of this piece by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
- Susato-Suite by Tielman Susato does NOT have an online guitar recording available.
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced 😊
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program free and open to the public. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Zoe has also introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!
For more information contact Zoe on [email protected] or phone 541 602 3928, or contact Isaac Engel [email protected] or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Entrance to all the events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance door is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society