Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday October 2nd, 2023 (first Monday of the month) at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- David Tutmark is our Featured Artists for the October 2nd – David began a successful performance career, has done hundreds of them including international guitar duo, performing in Chile, Mexico, Italy, and across the United States, and he is the professor of classical guitar at Clackamas Community College in Oregon City.
- Isaac Engel will be running the Ensemble Session; the music scores are available (see below) and any one of you will be delighted to join in and play.
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons and private lessons at Odd Fellows on Monday October 2nd at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday October 16th at 6:00pm run by Jacob Ripley, and he also provides The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
- In addition, Cameron O’Conner is running the Guitar Ensemble Class sessions on Wednesdays starting on September 27th at 6pm at OSU Community Hall 204. This is freely available for any of you interested in participating in the Ensemble event at our upcoming Festival on the 10th and 11th of November! You can email Cameron for more info: [email protected]
- Our Festival is set up for Friday and Saturday November 10th and 11th at First Congregational United Church of Christ, SW West Hills, Corvallis and will feature two individual Concerts, and two Ensembles, Master-Classes, Workshops, Lectures, and Facilities. Details will be provided in October 😊
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, October 2nd 2023, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome to play in the group!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm David Tutmark Featured Artist
Featured Artist David Tutmark
Guitarist David Tutmark maintains a busy schedule in the Pacific Northwest as well as performing abroad. After earning a Bachelor’s degree in classical guitar performance from PSU, David began a successful performance career, giving over 400 concerts between 2012–2020. David has toured extensively as a soloist as well as a member of the international guitar duo, performing in Chile, Mexico, Italy, and across the United States. In 2018 he did an extensive solo tour of Chile as part of the Entrecuerdas guitar festival. In 2019 David was a featured artist at the international concert series in Lima, Peru “Cuerdas al Aire” He has also performed for the US consulate in Pakistan as well at Pakistan’s premier music festival Lahooti Melo, for an audience of 20,000. David is also on faculty at Clackamas Community College in Oregon City Oregon where he is the professor of classical guitar. Whether for audiences large or small, David is known for his visceral yet polished style of playing, and consistently delivers captivating performances of traditional and contemporary classical guitar.
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate. When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, and maybe let Isaac Engel know ahead of time – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the four pieces of music for the ensemble session:
Three of the four pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public and are all included in The Forest Guitar Ensembles No. 2 arranged for guitar Quartet by Andrew Forrest. For the fourth piece (an excellent one), email Isaac in order to get your copy – see below:
Four Ensemble Scores & Parts
The Forest Guitar Ensembles No. 2
1) No. 4 – The Leaving of Liverpool (English Trad.); recording available
2) No. 5 – Berceuse (No.1 from Dolly Suite – Gabriel Fauré); recording available
3) No. 6 – The River Wisla (Polish trad.)
Click on the following ensemble score – Forrest Guitar Ensemble, in order to have access to all three parts listed above, and decide which guitar version 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, you wish to play.
The Eternal Flame
4) Eternal Flame – By Billy Steinberg, Susanna Hoffs, Tom Kelly. Arranged for intermediate Guitar Quartet by Derek Hasted
Email Isaac Engel in order to have access to this piece: [email protected]
Online Recordings of Three Ensemble Pieces
Two of the four pieces have an online recording that you can use to practice:
1) – The Leaving of Liverpool
The recording is available here (click on it)
2) – Berceuse
The recording is available here (click on it also) http://www.forrestguitarensembles.co.uk/resources/Sounds/Quartets/berceuse.mp3
Note: You can reduce the tempo of both of the online recording pieces by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
4) – Eternal Flame
This is a performance on YouTube that you can play along with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVvQfdNzeE
The Open Stage at the Corvallis Guitar Society monthly meeting is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced 😊
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Jacob Ripley and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program free and open to the public. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Jacob also provides Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!
For more information contact Jacob on [email protected] or phone 541 357 2513, or contact Isaac Engel [email protected] or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Entrance to all the above events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance door is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society