Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- We have Cameron O’Connor’s OSU Ensemble as featured artists on the Guitar Society monthly meeting June 6th
- Isaac Engle will be running the Ensemble Session, and the music is available here on the website
- Joaquin Gallegos is a Concert Flamenco Guitarist from Santa Fe New Mexico. He is visiting us on June 6th, and is going to play in the Open Stage session
- This meeting will start at 7:00pm June 6th (30 minutes early) to facilitate plenty of people performing!
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting will be on Monday, June 6th, 7:00 – 9:30pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
At this point, masks are no longer required at the monthly meetings.
The agenda features Open Ensemble, Open Stage, and Featured Artists:
7:00 – 7:05 pm Welcome
7:05 – 7:35 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome!
7:35 – 8:15 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:15 – 8:25 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:25 – 9:30 pm Cameron O’Connor’s OSU Ensemble Featured Artists
Featured Artist: Cameron O’Conner’s OSU Ensemble
The OSU Guitar Ensemble performs a smorgasbord of music for large and small ensembles, featuring premieres of Cameron O’Connor’s arrangements for guitar orchestra and including excerpts from J.S. Bach’s St. Matthew Passion (with vocalist), American and Brazilian folksongs, and a Queen medley. Music for guitar duo, trio, and quartet is also featured (music ranging from Fernando Sor to Joe Hisaishi’s Japanese film soundtracks). There’s something for everyone in this fantastically diverse program!
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced. It is also going to include a special guest artist Joaquin Gallegos! Joaquin is a Concert Flamenco Guitarist from Santa Fe New Mexico, and he has concerts in Seattle before coming down and checking out our Society meeting. He just released a new album, and you can learn more about him here: http://joaquingallegos.com/
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session.
The scores for guitar ensemble by Andrew Forrest and Lou Warde are free, and open to the public: CLICK on Gymnopédie & Greek Dance to download the music:
In order to get the Eternal Flame arrangement by Derek Hasted, email Isaac Engel, [email protected] . When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac know as soon as you can, and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
You can practice your parts ahead of time with online recordings:
- Eternal Flame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVvQfdNzeE
- Gymnopédie No. 1: http://www.theguitarclassroom.com/guitar-ensemble.html
- Greek Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTprI_fv68
Entrance is FREE and open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society