- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday December 5th at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- We don’t have a Featured Artist for the December meeting so we will be spending more time performing the ensemble music, and the Open Stage.
- Isaac Engel will be running the Ensemble Session, and the five music scores are available online for any of you who wish to join in and play (see below)
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced! And it will feature both Cameron O’Conner, and Isaac Engel 😊
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday December 5th at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday December 19th at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton, and she is now also providing The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
- And in addition, the OSU Guitar Ensemble Fall Concerts run by Cameron O’Connor are on Wednesday November 30th 7pm and on Saturday December 3rd 3pm both at OSU Community Hall room 303. It offers its signature blend of music from around the world for large and small ensembles. Music from Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Cuba, England, and holiday favorites share the program. Free, open to all. Limited seating.at Odd Fellows.
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, December 5th, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 8:10 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome!
8:10 – 8:20 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:20 – 9:15 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate. When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac Engel know as soon as you can – his email is firstname.lastname@example.org, and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the five pieces of music for the ensemble session:
All five of the pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public, and click on them here to download the scores:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg, Arr. by Lou Warde
- Suite Francaise by Francis Poulenc, Arr. by A. Forrest. Note: of the seven parts of this score, we are only doing No. 7 Carillon
- Noches de Luna Arr. by Andrew Forest
- Carol of the Bells by M. Leontovich Arr. by Lou Warde
- In Dulci Jubilo – A Christmas Carol, Arr: Andrew Forrest
You can practice your parts ahead of time with online recordings:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King
On the TheGuitarClassroom website, scroll down to the “Arrangements for Quartet” and click on The Hall of the Mountain King (Grieg), and that provides an online recording, and a group video on YouTube.
- Suite Francaise No. 7 Carillon
Note: On YouTube, you can reduce the speed of this piece by clicking on the settings button, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc. This helps you learn to play with them!
- Noches de Luna
Note: You can reduce the tempo of this piece also by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
- Carol of the Bells
On the TheGuitarClassroom website, scroll down to the “Arrangements for Quartet” and click on Carol of the Bells, and that provides an online recording you can play along with.
- In Dulci Jubilo does not have an online guitar quartet recording in our key, so just practice on your own.
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
Our great local guitarists Cameron O’Connor and Isaac Engel will both be performing on the open stage. Isaac is also going to play pieces with Leah Burleson including Christmas music!
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program in the Corvallis school district. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Zoe has introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Both the After School Guitar Program and the Community Beginning Lesson are FREE and open to the public.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one! For more information contact Zoe on email@example.com or phone 541 602 3928, or contact Isaac Engel firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Entrance to all the events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society