Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday January 9th 2023 (second Monday of the month) at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- Jesse McCann is our Featured Artist for the January meeting; he is an award-winning classical guitarist based in Portland, Oregon.
- Isaac Engel will be running the Ensemble Session, the music scores are available (see below) and anyone of you are delighted to join in and play.
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday January 9th at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday January 16th at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton, and she is now also providing The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, January 9th, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome to play in the group!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm Jesse McCann Featured Artist
Featured Artist Jesse McCann
Jesse McCann is an award-winning classical guitarist based in Portland, Oregon. After receiving his Bachelor of Music, he enrolled at Portland State University where he received a Master of Music under the direction of Bryan Johanson. In addition to being a top prize solo winner, he has led two award-winning guitar trios and is currently a member of the Oregon Guitar Quartet. He has also had the privilege of studying with some of the world’s leading guitarists and composers including Dusan Bogdanovic, Denis Azabagic, Jason Vieux, and David Tanenbaum.
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate.
When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac Engel know as soon as you can – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session:
All three of the pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public, and click on them here to download the scores:
1) Sleepers Awake (Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme) by J.S. Bach, Arr. by A. Forrest
2) Evening in Transylvania by Bartok, Arr. by A. Forrest
3) Le Phenix (Play 3rd Movement only, Allegro) by Michelle Corrette, Arr. by A. Forrest
NOTE: All three pieces of music are on Andrew Forrest’s Guitar Ensemble Website: http://www.forrestguitarensembles.co.uk/quartets/
You can practice one of the pieces (Le Phenix 3rd Movement) ahead of time with an online recording on YouTube:
Le Phenix (3rd Movement)
Note: You can reduce the tempo of this piece also by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
The other two are not recorded online in the same key that we will be playing in.
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced 😊
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Zoe has also introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Both the After School Guitar Program and the Community Beginning Lesson are FREE and open to the public.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!
For more information contact Zoe on [email protected] or phone 541 602 3928, or contact Isaac Engel [email protected] or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Entrance to all the events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society