Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday April 3rd, 2023 (first Monday of the month) at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- Isaac Engel and Leah Burleson Cellist are our Featured Artists for the April 3rd meeting that will present solo guitar music and guitar and cellist duets!
- Jon Sharp will be running the Ensemble Session; the music scores are available (see below) and any one of you will be delighted to join in and play.
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday April 3rd at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday April 17th at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton, and she is now also providing The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
Entrance to all the events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location:Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance door is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, April 3rd, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome to play in the group!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm Isaac Engel and Leah Burleson Featured Artists
Featured Artists Isaac Engel and Leah Burleson
Isaac Engel is a classical guitarist from Oregon, currently active as a teacher, performer, and composer. At fifteen, he fell in love with the sound of the Spanish guitar and has pursued his passion to play guitar ever since. He plays Latin, Spanish, modern, and baroque music and his dream is to help people experience the beauties and the possibilities of life. Recent highlights include presenting the Great Music of the Guitar concert in Salem, performing in the McNary Theatre production of Mary Poppins, teaching and accompanying at the Corban Theatre Camp, and playing at regional wineries and corporate events. He is currently serving as a board member for the Corvallis Guitar Society. You can read more about him at isaacengelmusic.com
The Engel Duo was first formed as the Engel – Burleson duo between classical guitarist Isaac Engel and cellist Leah Burleson and changed its name upon their recent marriage! Since meeting in college, they have played an unusual mix of original music written by Isaac, classical arrangements, and the very few classical pieces written for the unique instrumentation. They perform regularly for community spaces most recently at the Four Graces Winery, Salem Center 50+, and the Englewood Forest Festival in Salem. They have released one EP https://isaacengel.bandcamp.com/album/3-dances and are planning a full album of original music together.
Open Guitar Ensemble
Jon Sharp is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate. When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Jon know as soon as you can – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session and they are free, and open to the public:
Ensemble Scores & Parts
1. Tyrolean Cradle Song a Traditional Austrian Carol, Arr. Andrew Forrest. Click to download:
2. The Water is Wide a Traditional English/Scottish Folk Song, Arr. by Andrew Forrest. Click to download:
3. Bike Ride with Square Wheels by Andrew Forrest. Click to download:
Online Recordings of Each Ensemble Piece
All three pieces have an online recording available on Andrew Forrest Website that you can use to practice:
- Tyrolean Cradle Song a Traditional Austrian Carol
- The Water is Wide a Traditional English/Scottish Folk Song
- Bike Ride with Square Wheels by Andrew Forrest
Note: You can reduce the tempo of each online recording piece by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced 😊
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program free and open to the public. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Zoe has also introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society