Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday November 7th at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- João Kouyoumdjian, is our Featured Artist on November 7th and you can see and hear his great albums, music, and interview online: http://linktr.ee/joao.kouyoumdjian
- Isaac Engel will be running the Ensemble Session, and the music scores are available online for any of you who wish to join in and play (see below)
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday November 7th at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel, and Monday November 21st at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton
- Zoe is also introducing a Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages on the third Monday Nov 21st from 7:00pm to 7:30pm
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
7:15pm to 9:15pm is the Corvallis Guitar Society Ensemble, Open Stage, Featured Artist
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program in the Corvallis school district. Focusing on middle and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble music.
Zoe has introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Both the After School Guitar Program and the Community Beginning Lesson are FREE and open to the public.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!
For more information contact Zoe on [email protected] or phone 541 602 3928, or contact Isaac Engel [email protected] or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, November 7th, 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm João Kouyoumdjian Featured Artist
Featured Artist João Kouyoumdjian
João Kouyoumdjian is a Brazilian born classical guitarist of mixed Brazilian and Armenian ethnic heritage. He is a graduate of The Juilliard School and the University of São Paulo, where he studied under Sharon Isbin and Edelton Gloeden.
An award-winning artist in his homeland, João has appeared on stages in the United States, Brazil, Europe and Africa.
João Kouyoumdjian has been featured on numerous nationally televised concert series in Brazil, and he premiered new works by Brazilian composers Ricardo Calderoni and Raimundo Penaforte at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall at the behest of the Consulate General of Brazil in New York. This inspired his debut album Surfboard: Solo Guitar Works from Brazil (Pomegranate Music, 2013). His subsequent album – Kouyoumdjian Plays Bach: New Transcriptions for Guitar (Pomegranate Music, 2015) – was described as a “masterful presentation of premium-grade Bach” by Classical Guitar Magazine (US) and was recommended by Brazil’s most popular weekly magazine VEJA
You can learn a lot about João Kouyoumdjian online including his latest Album, Gakavik Fantasy, which is all on Armenian music, and you can also see a number of his performances and his interview on You Tube. To be able to see all of these, click on here: http://linktr.ee/joao.kouyoumdjian
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate.
When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac Engel know as soon as you can – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session:
All three of the pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public, and click on them here to download the scores:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg, Arr. by Lou Warde
- Suite Francaise by Francis Poulenc, Arr. by A. Forrest. Note: of the seven parts of this score, we are only doing No. 7 Carillon
- Noches de Luna Arr. by Andrew Forest
You can practice your parts ahead of time with online recordings:
- In the Hall of the Mountain King
On the TheGuitarClassroom website, scroll down and click on The Hall of the Mountain King (Grieg), and that provides an online recording, and a group video on YouTube.
- Suite Francaise No. 7 Carillon
Note: On YouTube, you can reduce the speed of this piece by clicking on the settings button, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc. This helps you learn to play with them!
- Noches de Luna
Note: You can reduce the tempo of this piece also by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
The Open Stage is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
Entrance to all the events is open to the public (donations gratefully received). Location: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333. The entrance is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society