Bringing Local Guitarists Out of the Woodwork
- Our next Guitar Society Meeting is on Monday May 1st 2023 (first Monday of the month) at Odd Fellows Hall and will begin at 7:15 pm
- George England is our wonderful Featured Artists for the May 1st who resides in New York City where he performs and teaches classical and modern guitar!
- Isaac Engel will be running the Ensemble Session; the music scores are available (see below) and any one of you are delighted to join in and play.
- The Open Stage is an opportunity for anyone to play classical guitar music – beginners, intermediate, and advanced!
- The After School Guitar Program is continuing group lessons, private lessons, and ensemble at Odd Fellows on Monday May 1st at 6:00pm run by Isaac Engel.
- The second After School Guitar Program is on Monday May 15th at 6:00pm run by Zoe Moulton, and she is now also providing The Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages from 7:00pm to 7:30pm at Odd Fellows.
- In addition, Isaac Engel will perform at Corazón Wine Bar in downtown Corvallis at 5:00pm on Friday April 21st. And Zoe Moulton and Stan Lyakhov will also perform at Corazón Wine Bar in downtown Corvallis at 5:30pm on Tuesday, May 2nd.
Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting
Our next monthly meeting is on Monday, May 1st , 7:15pm – 9:15pm
Venue: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St, Corvallis. The entrance door is between New Morning Bakery and Sedlaks Boots and Shoes.
Free & Open to the Public
7:15 – 7:20 pm Welcome
7:20 – 7:50 pm Open Guitar Ensemble: See below for the Guitar Ensemble music – everyone is welcome to play in the group!
7:50 – 8:20 pm Open Stage: beginners, intermediates, and advanced guitarists are all welcome to come and share their music with us.
8:20 – 8:30 pm BREAK and Refreshments
8:30 – 9:15 pm George England Featured Artist
Featured Artist George England
A native of Northern California, George Benton England resides in New York City where he performs and teaches classical and modern guitar, and theory. His concerts feature a balance of old and new repertoire, spanning several style periods and highlight rare works as well as established favourites. George usually includes one or two works on a program that are best described as “avante garde” and challenge the mainstream views of classical music. Most of the work he performs comes from composers like Bach, Villa-Lobos, Fernando Sor, Mozart, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Antonio Lauro, among many others, and sometimes performs on theorbo (a very long 17th century lute with 14 strings!) in addition to modern guitar and a 19th century guitar. It will be great to listen to George performing for us!
Open Guitar Ensemble
Isaac Engle is running the Open Guitar Ensemble in which anyone is welcome to participate. When you look at the pieces, decide which part you wish to play, let Isaac Engel know as soon as you can – his email is [email protected], and bring the music with you to the Guitar Society meeting.
Here are the three pieces of music for the ensemble session:
All three of the pieces for guitar ensemble are free, and open to the public. Click on them to download.
Ensemble Scores & Parts
1) Habanera from Carmen Act 1, by Georges Bizet. Arranged for guitar quartet by Lou Warde
This ensemble score is available to download:
- 2) Berceuse from Dolly Sweet Opus 56, by Gabriel Faure from Dolly Sweet Opus 56, by Gabriel Faure. Arranged for guitar quartet by Andrew Forrest
This ensemble score is available to download: https://corvallisguitarsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Berceuse-by-Gabriel-Faure-Arr-A-Forrest.pdf
- 3) Serenade (Ständchen), by Franz Schubert. It is piece number 3 in Andrew Forrest’s Ensemble Book 6.
This ensemble book 6 is available to download: https://corvallisguitarsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Forrest-Ensemble-Series-No.-6.pdf
Online Recordings of Each Ensemble Piece
All three pieces have an online recording that you can use to practice:
1) Habanera from Carmen Act 1, by Georges Bizet. Arranged for guitar quartet. The recording is available on the Guitar Classroom Website. Stroll down on the website to the “Arrangements for Quartet”, then click on Habanera and see the recording :
2) Berceuse from Dolly Sweet Opus 56, by Gabriel Faure
This is a performance on YouTube which you can play along with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufAISfrZfQ
3) Serenade (Ständchen), by Franz Schubert
The recording is available on Andrew Forrest’s website:
Note: You can reduce the tempo of each online recording piece by clicking on the three dots in the center of the screen, then click Play Back Speed, then reduce to 0.75 or 0.5 etc.
The Open Stage at the Corvallis Guitar Society Monthly Meeting is available for anyone to play their own music featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced 😊
After School Guitar Program & Community Beginning Lesson
Zoe Moulton and Isaac Engel are continuing the After School Guitar Program free and open to the public. Focusing on mid and high school students, the goal is to raise their awareness and understanding of the guitar instrument by featuring group lessons, private lessons and ensemble music.
Zoe has also introduced Community Beginning Lesson for people of all ages, so anyone can come for this lesson.
Feel free to come along and meet up with Zoe and Isaac at their sessions if you are interested, and if you don’t have a guitar, we can lend you one!For more information contact Zoe on [email protected] or phone 541 602 3928, or contact Isaac Engel [email protected] or phone 971 718 4535 and you can view his website: https://isaacengelmusic.com/
Times are as follows:
First Monday of the month at Odd Fellows Hall (Isaac Engel)
6:00pm to 7:00pm is the After School Guitar Program (group lesson and ensemble)
Third Monday of the Month at Odd Fellows Hall (Zoe Moulton & Stan Lyakhov)
6:00pm to 6:50pm is the After School Guitar Program group lesson
7:00pm to 7:30pm is the Community Beginning group lesson
Additional Events This Month
Isaac Engel will perform at Corazón Wine Bar in downtown Corvallis at 5:00pm on Friday April 21st and Zoe Moulton and Stan Lyakhov will also perform live Spanish Guitar at Corazón Wine Bar at 5:30pm on Tuesday, May 2nd. Corazón is a Spanish-themed wine bar, wine shop, wine tasting room, lounge, and event space. It has a classy ambience about having guitars play there!
Location is: 208 SW 2nd St, Corvallis, OR 97333, 1 minute walk from New Morning Bakery.
Jon Sharp, President Corvallis Guitar Society